Who am I kidding... I like Chinese music

As much as I like to deny it, I actually really like Chinese music and long-ass Taiwanese dramas. I will always miss the days when my atas RGS friends and I role-played as characters in the then-famous show: 爱。

Now that I am in NUS, I sometimes look wistfully at posters advertising for Chinese drama and auditions for Chinese singing clubs, and feel sad because I can no longer find people to go with for such events. I was lucky to have best friends who are both Singaporean and half-Chinese or half-Taiwanese because some of my favourite times in JC were spent singing Jay Chou songs while studying in school.

---

Chinese songs used to have a mystifying effect on me; whenever a guy in class lent me his earphone, I would become infatuated with both the song and the guy. This happened in the first year of high school when I was still relatively friendless in class. Being the psychologist I am, I immediately saw a potential target for a friend in this big, friendly looking Chinese scholar classmate of mine. You see, I never overestimated my standing in terms of looks and sociability; I just went for what was in my league. Anyhow, this classmate was really into Jay Chou's new album back and so during our class camp, I remembered sharing earphones with him while listening to one of the songs. Ahh... you see, one must never underestimate the power of environmental cues (gosh, I'm sounding like my social psychology professor); under the stars, surrounded by nothing but empty grassland, I felt ever closer to this lump of warm flesh beside me. That was how I got my first JC crush.

---

Even today, although I am separated from my besties by land and sea, I still use the songs we sing for karaoke as my alarm clock; though I am quite ashamed when my alarm rings in the middle of class.

Comments

Popular Posts